1of3 that I wrote in 1998, before my accident.
Lacewell's T.R.E.P. - T(utoring) R(esearching) & E(vent) P(lanning)
RSS

Recent Posts

Disconnection
3of3 from 1998
2of3 from 1998
1of3 that I wrote in 1998, before my accident.
Smart Smoothies

Categories

Any
Articles
Rates
powered by

My Blog

1of3 that I wrote in 1998, before my accident.

On My Block     By :  Marcus Lacewell

I used to feel that bad habits shouldn't be discussed. There was a time when bad habits had total control over me.  "The block" became a regular hang out spot for me around the age sixteen.  When night fell, everyone would congregate like Sunday morning service, the collection plate would make its rounds, but everyone knew that no one was going to be saved.  Instead of the money going to good causes, it went to Everclear, Gin, Hennessey, and several other "problem solvers."  Normal people went to their church to solve problems, but I guess our church only made my problems worse.
It was normal to see everyone dancing drunkenly in the streets while Tupac and Master P sang in the choir.  You were considered dumb if you didn't already have your "goods" stashed; just in case the police came around.  Everyone still kept their eyes out for "customers."  I never had my own business, but I knew how to operate one if I had to.
I thought that my habit would never leave me, but at one point in time I began to think differently.  It all started when my friend Mike was shot by a customer.  Mike was a loyal member of our nightly congregation.  He went to a lot of the same places and did a lot of the same things I did.  Because of this, I began to feel that the same thing that happened to Mike, could happen to me.  Even though this had a big effect on me, I still went to my nightly services.  Just as things seemed to return to
normal, my friend Shawn was arrested.  This is when I realized I was only a good guy in my neighborhood, but in my community I was still a villain.  Because of the friends I had, people outside of my neighborhood would always look at me as a bad guy.  The things that we did, such as drinking, were not considered bad to us because my parents and all of my friends parents did it.  It was only considered bad if you let it take over your life, like Mr. Williams down the street.

As my Senior year came to a close, I began to realize that most members of the congregation were high school drop-outs or graduates who never excelled.  I knew from that point, I didn't want to be a member for life.  If I did, I would be another victim like Shawn or Mike, so I decided that I
 wanted to go to college.  When I first got to college, I went home every weekend to attend services, but as I saw more friends fall, I found myself occasionally missing "church."  The more services I missed, the more my friends teased me.  I would normally hear things like "Why didn't you come home last weekend, you too good to chill with the fellas."  Someone else would say "Don't forget where you came from, you'll always be like us."  I knew, and they knew, that this was just teases.  I knew the change wouldn't be easy, so the teases didn't really bother me.  Besides, we had all grown to be close to each other. It was like a big family, and that was the way we all felt.  I knew that they respected this change because this was my family, and that's how we'll always be.

Now that I'm in college, the habit seems to be gone.  When I
go home, I find myself going to "service", but for different reasons.  Instead of giving my offerings to Everclear, Gin, and Hennessey I offer my words of encouragement to my fellow members. I may have not totally done away with my bad habit,but I have overcome it.  The only thing I can do is hope that the rest of my congregation has the opportunity to overcome the same habit.

17 Comments to 1of3 that I wrote in 1998, before my accident.:

Comments RSS
Stock Tips Indore on Wednesday, March 30, 2016 8:26 AM
I used to feel that bad habits shouldn't be discussed. There was a time when bad habits had total control over me.....The resource that you mentioned here is something that I have been looking from quite a time. And finally it ended with such a nice blog post. Don’t have words to thank you.......

Domestic Forex tips on Monday, October 17, 2016 6:05 AM
Very good article! We will be linking to this great article on our website. Keep up the great writing.

vps server hosting on Sunday, October 23, 2016 12:13 AM
Many thanks for terrific information I was searching for this information

Best Remodeling contractors in Austin on Thursday, April 13, 2017 7:57 AM
I have no words for who wrote and published this post. I am really impressed by.., Thanks

Best Remodeling contractors in Austin on Thursday, April 13, 2017 8:00 AM
Great information provided in this great post, thanks for shaing this beneficial post.

Buy Books Online at Best Prices in Turkey on Monday, April 17, 2017 8:02 AM
Realy a great post

Buy Books Online at Best Prices in turkey on Wednesday, April 19, 2017 2:59 AM
Good Work

my assignment services on Friday, March 30, 2018 6:10 AM
Nice write up,I guess the very helpful had my own business always,keep making about congregate for regular hang out tips. The community realize graduate occasionally hearing the things for more services.

ukwritings.com on Saturday, January 12, 2019 7:47 AM
Thank you.

steppingstonescenter.org on Tuesday, January 15, 2019 9:21 AM
The latest episode of Whiskey & Wine is hilarious and full of gigs, you can watch this on YouTube and other free video websites. Check out our blog and tell me how can I make videos for that to get maximum response from online users. Can you please share with us your next agenda.

Whale Watching in Cabo on Saturday, March 16, 2019 11:19 AM
I read this blog and get lots of informative things on it. Thanks a lot for sharing!

dissertation proofreading services on Sunday, June 16, 2019 8:59 AM
Our dissertation and thesis proofreading and editing services will give you more confidence in the work that you submit. Engaging a professional academic or scientific dissertation editing and proofreading service is therefore an excellent idea.

mkfresearch on Thursday, June 20, 2019 4:09 PM
1998, back to old days, I am loving this as it feels exciting to me. I have checked the picture below, you have changed the picture with the coat, great work.

mens work jacket on Saturday, July 27, 2019 12:41 PM

buy college essays online on Wednesday, August 14, 2019 9:36 AM
Now, get the chance of flying through a premium airlines like Air France Airlines at the cheapest price by calling at Air France Airlines Phone Number. The travel experts at Air France Airlines Phone Number help the customers by booking tickets at the pocket friendly prices. So, call now and avail the best offers.

Kin on Thursday, October 17, 2019 3:08 AM
When I originally commented I clicked the -Notify me when new comments are added- checkbox and now each time a comment is added I get four emails with the same comment. Is there any way you can remove me from that service? Thanks! challenges.openideo.com/profiles/kipmorocco primegatecity.com/profile/coltonc345rtain choralnet.org/members/happytim11

war robux cheats codes on Tuesday, December 10, 2019 4:00 AM
This is a multiplayer game with 6 against 6 teams fighting in real time with opponents from all over the world.